Without proper tools, software testing cannot be achieved; they decide how automation is carried out and if the advantages of automation can be eventually realized.
Therefore, test automation software and automation tools are essential for the DevOps toolchain. Artificial intelligence and machine learning (AI/ML) are increasingly used in test automation to provide structure for test development, optimization, execution, and reporting. It is essential to the success of your project to figure out which tools are most suited for your needs.
This article will effectively discuss the top test automation tools expected to solve automation concerns in the following years.
Things To Consider While Choosing Automation Tools
Before looking for a automation testing tool, you must first understand what you're looking for in terms of features and functionality. Here's a quick guide that will help you narrow down your search -
- Is the User Interface (UI) neat, simple, and visually appealing?
- Is it simple to learn and get the hang of? Is there adequate technical assistance, user assistance, and tutorials? Do they provide training? Does the software require prior programming knowledge, or is it beginner-friendly?
- Can it be integrated with other tools? For example, can it connect to bug tracking tools?
- Does the features justify the pricing of the tool? Are you getting your money's worth?
- How many different files can be tested simultaneously?
- Does the tool have a neat and easy-to-search documentation feature?
- How many test scenarios does the tool support?
- Does the tool work with multiple scripting languages?
- Does the tool support test commands? If yes, does it support multiple test commands?
- Do you need Manual Testing or Automatic Testing, and which one would work best for your business? If you need help figuring it out, check out our blog discussing their pros and cons in detail.
Now that you have an idea about what to look for in QA software automation tools, let's look at some of the top competitive automation testing tools in 2022.
Top QA Tools in The Market in 2022
The finest among free automation tools for web application testing has to be Selenium. This tool is now among the most widely used automation testing tools.
What makes this tool stand out among other automation tools?
It's a free, open-source platform that works with various browsers, operating systems, and multiple programming languages. Selenium involves comprehensive and complex automation scripts and parallel test execution and integration with different QA software testing tools. The Selenium Framework, being the most incredible automation testing tool, can assist you in making code maintenance simple.
When it comes to automation testing, Selenium is a living legend. It is widely regarded as the industry standard for Web application user interface automation testing.
Selenium currently provides versatility unmatched by any other test automation tools in the market and frameworks for testers with programming and scripting knowledge and talents. In addition, users may create test scripts in various languages (including C#, PHP, Ruby, Groovy, Java, Perl) that run on different operating systems.
- While Selenium is not the only well-performing software automation testing tool, it is the only free tool that provides this kind of quality.
- It is possible to test native and hybrid and web mobile apps with Selenium, but you'll need extra tools. Appium and Selendroid are the two primary choices. They're both built on Selenium, so developers already familiar with it may use the same concepts to test mobile apps.
- Selenium's versatility is nearly unrivaled in the realm of test automation. First, they offer ten languages(including C#, PHP, Ruby, Groovy, Java, Perl), which are among today's most popular programming languages.
- If we have to think of disadvantages, Selenium does have one major drawback. To run Selenium well, users must have complex programming expertise and devote a significant amount of time to developing automation frameworks and libraries. So it goes without saying that this is not a tool for beginners.
Invest in hiring a QA automation engineer who is well versed in this software to make sure your project runs without hiccups. In addition, you can check out our blog for the 9 top reasons you need a software QA tester.
- Because Selenium can't distinguish the objects in desktop programs, it can't be utilized in automating desktop application testing. Its sole purpose is to perform web app testing across various browsers. That is not a significant drawback but is still worth noting.
- Another significant problem is that it does not include a test framework and hence time and money has to be spent on developing and integrating the test framework with selenium.
Founded in 2016, testRigor is a comprehensive end-to-end automation tool that addresses all significant test automation challenges. For starters, it's no-code, which means no programming knowledge is necessary, allowing human QA to take control of the test automation workflow. In addition, the fact that the tests are simple English implies that everyone in the team can comprehend them.
Additionally, testRigor employs the strength of its AI engine to ensure that all tests are exceptionally steady, with test maintenance lasting only a few minutes on average. This enables seamless CI/CD connection with virtually almost any provider, such as PagerDuty and Jira.
Native and hybrid mobile applications and APIs are all supported by testRigor. It also allows you to test SMS, calls, and emails.
TestRigor is undoubtedly among the most advanced software test automation solutions available today, as it is one of only a few that has successfully used AI to solve bottlenecks in test automation. This, in turn, helps teams scale by achieving previously unthinkable levels of efficiency.
Pros of testRigor
- Firstly, it needs to be said that the UI and Reporting features are top-notch in this tool.
- testRigor offers state-of-the-art AI-based QA software test automation.
- The learning curve with this tool is short.
- Tests can be in plain English, and it's simple to track real-world end-user behavior to enhance test quality.
- testRigor has significantly lower maintenance compared to other automation tools like Selenium and Appium.
Cons of testRigor
- Some aspects of the user experience require improvement. This could be because the tool was developed quite quickly.
- Several rivals add live assistance in the medium pricing category and even provide a CSM, albeit pricing is not always upfront with competitor automation tools.
Pricing Options of testRigor
Like most other SaaS solutions, testRigor offers a free basic edition, a priced mid-tier option, and an enterprise version with configurable pricing according to client demands.
All the test results are public in the free edition of testRigor, meaning that anybody can access the findings. However, you might want to keep that in mind, so if you don't want your test results to be open to everyone, you might want to opt for a paid version of the tool.
The intermediate tier plan is priced at $1,800 per month and includes two private test suites and two test parallelizations. This package consists of an unlimited number of users and test cases. This tier is suitable for professional teams who want their automation testing kept secret but aren't working on a large enough project to require enterprise services.
Testim is the quickest tool to develop the most durable UI tests for unique web apps. The AI-powered self-healing and self-improving Smart Locators from Testim make your tests stable and maintenance-free.
A Chrome extension captures a user's actions and is used to develop tests. For example, Testim's visual editor may be used to reorder stages, build reusable groups that can be reused across trials, and add assertions or code-like functionalities.
The built-in scheduling algorithm or a CI action may be used to start cross-browser tests. Testim is compatible with all major CIs. Users may utilize Testim's test status feature to treat test failures differently as they go through the CI. For code/test branch synchronization and cooperation, Testim interacts with various version control systems and bug tracking applications.
Testim also connects and integrates with other tools, allowing you to continue operating your workflow while creating and branching tests, collaborating, and triggering test runs on continuous integration builds. In addition, by grouping problem kinds, giving pertinent data, and displaying before/after screenshots, troubleshooting is easier with this tool's help.
Pros of Testim
- All the actions taken within the apps are documented as screenshots for easy tracking. You can easily compare test results with the help of these visuals at different stages of the project.
- It's easy to report bugs, and customer support is quick and resourceful.
- You can run multiple tests across different browsers, whether on the user's private cloud or the Testim cloud.
- For each element you test on Testim, thousands of parameters are analyzed before ranking.
- There are many customization options under different conditions and data sets, from the browser, OS, and URL.
Cons of Testim
- The tool lacks the option to undo actions after every step.
Pricing Options For Testim
There are three plans - Community, Essentials, and Professional.
The Community Plan is free and is perfect for smaller teams who want to try out AI-based automation. You get 1,000 runs per month and serial test runs with this plan. You can also run your tests on Testim's cloud. There are plenty of documents and resources. However, there are limitations on the number of accounts you can have per organization.
The Essentials Plan works best for small-to-mid-size companies who want to modernize test automation. With this plan, you get custom grid runs, and you can run multiple tests in parallel (up to 4). Like the basic plan, you get access to Testim's cloud. However, this feature also gets security configurations and excellent live customer support.
The Professional Plan is perfect for any company looking to scale through modern dev teams and want to invest in the quality of their tests and applications. Compared to the Essentials Plan, the professional package offers running up to 8 tests in parallel, along with customized legal terms and web-accessibility automation testing.
The pricing plans are all individual, customizable, and based on quotation. The customer support team will help you find the best package to suit your needs.
PractiTest is a SaaS tool that offers a complete QA management solution with some of the most advanced and innovative test management tool industry features. As a result, testers will now have the time to give their attention to the quality of the product and their primary work rather than passive secondary tasks.
It works with popular bug tracking platforms such as Pivotal Tracker, Redmine, JIRA, Bugzilla, and numerous automation tools. Their API allows for further customization to meet the demands of other processes. Traceability is used throughout the entire process by PractiTest. That provides a bird's eye perspective of the whole software development process.
PractiTest's dashboards and detailed reports set the benchmark for data intelligence by emphasizing productivity and visibility. You can quickly fix bugs, arrange your requirements, design and execute tests, and produce reports via their innovative filters.
With PractiTest, you can define your software requirements from scratch. In the app, you can also see user stories. This gives you information about how your app's users interact with it and aspects that need to be improved. Then you may start running tests. In the app, you can instantly examine the results. The tool will tell you if the test was successful or not.
Pros of PractiTest
- The Requirements Module in PractiTest assists you in managing requirements as well as end-user stories. To prepare for the test you're about to conduct, you can customize fields.
- The tests are immediately placed in a Test Repository as they are produced, and you may manage them in the Test Library. With this feature, you will have complete control over the whole automation testing process.
- Traceability is a part of the app development process with PractiTest. This is advantageous since it allows you to tie your work items collectively while also providing complete visibility.
- PractiTest's REST APIs make it simple to integrate your existing tools or any external third-party software into the app.
If you're looking for an end-to-end SaaS solution while choosing automation tools, PractiTest is the right choice.
Cons of PractiTest
- There are errors while linking defects to Jira.
- No screenshots or video evidence of test processes.
- Customer Support is minimal in the Free Trial version.
- SaaS tool only.
- Pricing plans might be high for smaller businesses.
Pricing Plans of PractiTest
While there is a free trial, no free plans are available with this tool.
Their basic package starts at $39/month per user.
Their enterprise plan starts at $49/month per user.
Their unlimited plan is customizable according to your needs and is quotation-based.
Mabl is one of the most simple and basic automation tools available. It assists in the automation of web browsers such as Selenium WebDriver, Selenium IDE, and other automation tools. Mabl is a solid platform since it is lightweight and works with a simple browser plugin.
For competent teams, mabl is a low-code, cognitive test automation tool. Teams may use mabl to incorporate end-to-end software automation testing throughout the development process.
The mabl Trainer has been created to allow anybody to design tests based on the application's core user flows. As tests run, mabl collects detailed diagnostic data and delivers AI-driven insights, boosting deployment confidence and allowing for quick test failure analysis. Furthermore, AI-powered auto-healing ensures that your tests adapt and grow in tandem with your application.
On a single cloud-native testing platform, technical and non-technical staff may contribute to test development, execution, and maintenance. Teams may also use the platform to incorporate automation testing into current processes that include problem tracking, continuous integration, and delivery.
Pros of Mabl
- The Tutorial can assist you in creating all of your fundamental tests and run them regularly with recommendations.
- The tool has a fresh new user interface and design approach.
- It's now much easier to create and maintain tests. In addition, with the help of detailed screenshots and HAR captures, test failure investigation is much faster than before.
- Tests are highly stable, and there is the AI-based method for adaptive test assertions.
Cons of Mabl
- Mabl is still pretty recent and fresh; therefore, certain features and functionalities aren't available yet.
- Lack of an exclusion list for URLs that do not require verification.
Pricing Plans of Mabl
They have three key plans - Startup, Growth, and Enterprise.
The Startup Plan offers data retention for one month, cross-browser automation testing with Firefox and Chrome, and Mabl University support.
The Growth Plan additionally offers three months of data retention and cross-browser automation testing with IE and Safari.
The Enterprise Plan offers data retention for 13 months, cross-testing on all browsers, and end-to-end automation testing functionalities.
The plans are priced on a quotation basis.
Choose The Best Tool For Your Business
Though there are multiple automation tools available in the market for QA testing, these tools won't be of much help without a skilled QA tester. So rather than overspending on devices, invest in a qualified QA specialist from Wishup who can assist in Manual Testing and Automation testing and scale your business.
If you want to invest in a QA automation engineer, click here to schedule a free consultation with Wishup today.